Friday, July 18, 2008

No Private Room For Me!

After a week Anniek was doing so well that it was decided she was ready to go home and she was moved into a private room so that I could take care of her and be there in the room with her during the night. Unfortunately as soon as we got into the private room and Anniek was hooked up to the monitors her oxygen saturations dropped, she was moved back into a step down room. I was a little worried but seeing as her oxygen levels went back up as soon as we got back to the step down room I did not have to worry very long.
The rest of the day Anniek was fine in the step down room so they decided to move her back into a private room. Once again as soon as we got there and she was hooked up to the monitors her oxygen saturations dropped, so she went back to the step down room again. The on call cardiologist was called and tests were ordered to see why her oxygen levels were acting up. Anniek’s PDA had almost closed again, the Cath did not work. I was told that Anniek would have to have her open heart surgery before she went home from the hospital. I was devastated, I was all set to finally go home with my daughter and be a parent. I sat in the private room that was supposed to be for Anniek and me and cried. One of the nurses came to comfort me and said “It might be easier to have it done before you go home then go home knowing that you will have to come back in about 6 month” I thought about what the nurse has said to me and realised that she was right, I would have had a hard time knowing that we would have to come back and have a few months to worry about the open heart surgery. I was extremely worried about Anniek having to go in for surgery, but I was a lot calmer then my mom. Anniek was put back on medications to keep her PDA open. Unfortunately because babies are so small it is extremely hard to get IV access and keep it open, after trying a number of times and failing it was decided that it would be best for Anniek to get a PICC line to give her the medication that she needed.

No comments: