Friday, July 18, 2008

You Only Thought We Were Going Home

Everything seemed to be going well, Anniek was able to get weaned from oxygen and we were ready to go home. All of a sudden on the night before we were supposed to be going home Anniek started needing oxygen again. I was worried that we might not be able to go home but it was decided that Anniek could go home on oxygen and everything got set up for that, I was so happy that we were going to be going home the next day. Unfortunately during the night once again Anniek started needing more and more oxygen, so we were unable to go home. I felt like we were never going to be able to go home. At one point I secretly felt like I wanted to just go home for a night just to sleep in my own bed.

Tests were done and it turned out that Anniek’s right lung was not getting enough air into it because of the paralysed diaphragm. Anniek would have to go for a surgery on her paralysed diaphragm. I was told that Anniek would be brought up for discussion for surgery on the 13th of February. Instead I was waken up by a nurse coming in the room on February 13th telling me that Anniek would be going for her diaphragm plication that day! Anniek only spent two days in the Critical Care Unit and was weaned from oxygen much easier then she had been before.

No comments: