Friday, July 18, 2008

Week 1

Anniek was transferred to Sick Kids the next day. Since I had a caesarean I could not go with her. My dad went to Toronto so Anniek would not be alone. Although I was grateful that my dad would be with Anniek, it was terrifying to have my baby leave without me and to know I might never see my darling baby girl again. I do not cry easily, but the tears rolled down my cheeks. I felt that my heart had broken into a thousand pieces.

After I got out of the hospital, still recovering from my sugary I went to Toronto to be with my daughter. In Toronto I got given a lot of information about the heart condition that Anniek’s heart condition. It turns out that Tetralogy of Fallot is a cardiac anomaly that refers to a combination of four related heart defects that commonly occur together. The four defects include: Pulmonary Stenosis (narrowing of the pulmonary valve and outflow tract or area below the valve, that creates an obstruction of the blood flow from the right ventricle to the pulmonary artery), Ventricular Septal Defect (a hole between the heart’s two lower chambers) , Overriding Aorta (the aortic valve is enlarged and appears to raise from both the left and right ventricles instead of the left ventricle as occurs in normal hearts), and Right Ventricular Hypertrophy (thickening of the muscular walls of the right ventricle, which occurs because the right ventricle is pumping at high pressure. On top of the Tetralogy of Fallot Anniek also has Left Pulmonary Artery Hypoplasia.

In Toronto I was told that Anniek would need open heart surgery, but it would be better to wait until she was about 6 months old when she would be bigger and stronger if possible and that they wanted to do a Cardiac Cath to try to postpone the surgery.

No comments: